Podcast editing is a growing industry that still has opportunities for a lot of people. But the question still remains: "How can I differentiate myself as an editor and be irreplaceable for my clients?"
Dava Visaya from PodcastEngineers.com joined us to talk about that question.
Dave is a podcast editor from the Philippines who has an interesting career trajectory. He owns a small podcast production agency with all in-house producers and editors (at least in-house when they're not under COVID-19 restrictions).
He had the goal of building a large agency with a deep portfolio of clients but has recently decided to shift his business.
Listen to discover:
- How many times the cats joined us :)
- How Dave didn't think of himself as a professional early on, even though he was working on a very popular show
- Challenges and strategies for pricing services, especially when working with international clients
- What often stops editors from hiring people to help them
- What you need to have in place before you start hiring
- The benefits of having your team in-house, operating on a single platform and suite of software and plugins
- Ideas for how you can differentiate yourself from your competitors to the point that you might be the only option your clients ever consider
- Why many strategies to "add value" often fail (hint: consider who actually DEFINES what's valuable)
- Working within boundaries - even across time zones
- Ideas for what you can have in place before you ever talk to prospective clients so that you can get them what they want - right out of the gate.
- And a LOT more.
This was an incredible conversation and you're going to LOVE it!
This episode was edited by Tanner Campbell, who you can find at PortlandPod.com
Interested in being a guest on the show?
If you're a podcast editor, we'd love to see if you'd be a fit for a future episode. Fill out this form to let us know you're interested and we'll contact you to see if it's a good fit.
- Podcast Engineering School (qualifying purchases benefit Bryan)
- iZotope RX7
- Waves Plugins
- Logic Pro X
Appearing in this episode:
- Dave Visaya: http://podcastengineers.com | @PodcastEngineers
- Daniel Abendroth: https://rothmedia.audio | @rothmedia_audio
- Jennifer Longworth: https://bourbonbarrelpodcasting.com | @KYPodcasting
- Carrie Caulfield-Arick: https://yayapodcasting.com | @carriearick
Mentioned in this episode:
Join the Podcast Editor Academy
Are you looking to start or improve your podcast editing business? To turn your DAW into dollars (or your favorite currency)? If so, check out Podcast Editor Academy and use the code "YETIS" to get your first 30 days free!